Wednesday, April 13, 2005

rap your way home

It's been a fun couple of weeks, studying and working my tuckus (is that how you spell it? I'm so not Jewish) off. I am awash in conventional metaphors, free morphemes, De Saussure, and idiolects, among other things. And my brain is pretty much throbbing at this point. Which is why I was pleasantly surprised to find a little song hiding in my head as I commuted my way home from a study session at Con U. Here he is:

she read the news about shakespeare today
she opens her mouth but has nothing to say
the world is not as it appears
she drinks some more to quell her fears
she acts the part of juliet
in her bedroom for her tabby cat

he stabs the dragon in the toe
and for a while it's touch and go
he prevails though in the end
so his ego's well defended
she licks its blood from off his hand
they fuck right there in dragonland

don't you wanna be regaled
with a fractured fairy tale
don't you wanna close your eyes
we control our own demise

we flew paper airplanes in parc jean-drapeau
I'm having trouble letting go
yours flies steadier than mine
I guess I've always been behind
the things that move the things that grow
I'm having trouble letting go


now I just need a tune!

***

other things that made me happy today:

-a yummy spinach and cheese pastry from Altaib for 1.75
-2 Marlboro lites from korea
-being able to explain Romanticism and how it relates to Nationalism, tying it all in a pretty bow with Wagner (I wowed 'em, let me tell you)
-a creepy homeless guy complimenting my blue shoes
-a guy rapping (quite eloquently) for spare change to take the bus home to Candiac- which I believe he rhymed with heart attack.
-a ticket to Of Montreal
-a ticket to the Stars/the Organ
-a ticket to Pony Up!/the Lovely feathers
- the guy at esoteric recognizing me (I've only been to this record store 5 times in the past two weeks)
-my bangs

7 comments:

Nancy said...

Did you come up with that delightful piece of prose? I think it's awesome! You absolutely need a tune for it!

Aurora said...

yes I surely did! Thank you! The tune will probably have to wait until exams are over though. boo.

dd said...

oh Aurora! Guess who has a ticket waiting for her at Cabaret Music Hall for a certain show tonight? Yes, that is correct.

I am wondering how your week went and how you survived Sunday's key ordeal, as I have shut humanity out of my life for the past couple of days and I have to say I it really did not help me do much better on my exam. Oh well, I tried.

dd said...

oh Aurora! Guess who has a ticket waiting for her at Cabaret Music Hall for a certain show tonight? Yes, that is correct.

I am wondering how your week went and how you survived Sunday's key ordeal, as I have shut humanity out of my life for the past couple of days and I have to say I it really did not help me do much better on my exam. Oh well, I tried.

dd said...

oops.

ingelatravershayward said...

Those blue shoes will take over the world, I tell you. First that guy...replacement-o-Pete Libertine and now the homeless man. Does it get any better?
Second, how much was the Ponyup!? Shall I prepare for a thick dent in my pocket book?

Hear you got on the shins guest list. Good on ya. That's pseudo-enthusiastic behavior badly masking my jealousy. Whoever landed you in such a position, stay friends with him so we can use him and abuse him for later shows.

Aurora said...

pony up ticket is 10 smakeroonies. And it's for charity. Isn't it annoying when you're forced to do a good deed?

And broken telephone much? I did get on the Shins guest list... in New York. Next weekend. You know, the weekend I have three Montreal tickets for. My bro might be able to get me +1 on the list for the montreal show. We shall see.