Saturday, February 12, 2005

the blackouts are the blackouts no more

While visiting Rufus (my bro) in Brooklyn this summer, I discovered this Champaign, Illinois garage rock band, The Blackouts. Rufus's girlfriend Lauren happened to be an old buddy from college, so the band (and their girlfriends) crashed at their place with us while they were in town for Little Steven's Garage Rock Festival. The same show I was in town for, incidentally (unfortunately, we missed their set, due to pancakes-they played in the early afternoon). Needless to say, it was a bit cramped. But I forgave them completely after listening to "Living in Blue" for the second time. It's amazing. It makes me want to drive my Harley to the nearest roadhouse, drink lots of cheap American beer, and throw myself savagely at the ruggedly handsome guy playing pool across the room. Too bad I don't have a Harley. Too bad we don't have roadhouses in Montreal. Too bad you can't buy their album anywhere in Montreal. So order it off Amazon!

Anyway, I've discovered they are changing their name to "The Living Blue." I guess they really liked the name of their album. And this all leaves me quite curious as to the deeper meaning behind the "living" and the "blue" or perhaps the blue-ish qualities of said life.

No comments: