Thursday, February 10, 2005

Intelligent, eh?

I was listening to the radio the other morning and heard this piece about "Intelligent Design." The crazies are still pushing the school boards in the American mid-west to make it a required part of the science curriculum. And in Kansas, the boards are beginning to give in.

Intelligent Design is a label fabricated by Fundamentalist Christians, to make it sound all acedemic, when infact, it's simply creationism: the idea that some more intelligent, powerful being is responsible for the creation of the universe, eg-God. These religious fundamentalists believe it should be taught along side Evolution, as an "alternative theory". They get all bent out of shape, whining about how Evolution is "only a theory."

See, the problem is that a theory is a hypothesis that has stood up to rigorous scientific testing, and thus been accepted by the scientific community, published in a journal and whatnot. Can't really see that happening with Intelligent Design. And it's not that kids shouldn't know that this idea is out there, it's just that it should not be taught in the context of a science class. It isn't science

It's too bad that so many people can't manage to reconcile their spiritual beliefs with the world of science. Maybe they find it cold and inaccesable. Maybe they just don't understand how science works. Sure, Evolution is just a theory. So is gravity, relativity, and lots of other junk that we just assume is true about the universe. But scientists acknowledge that. Nothing is written in stone. Maybe that's what really scares the religious fundamentalists.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In addition to the fact I've decided we are now going to shows together, we will have something to talk about. I didn't know you read Gaiman! American Gods is one of my favourite books also. In case you have no clue what I'm rambling on about, refer to a comment I posted to one of your earlier blogs...then head on over to www.livejournal.com/users/bex_diagnosed

Aurora said...

oh, yes. American Gods is brill. Have you read Neverwhere? Also great. More fairytale-ish. And Gaiman has some kind of blog, I think. I'll add it to my blog recs, in fact.

ingelatravershayward said...

I hate religious fundamentalists. They're all a little too 'holier-than-thou' for my liking. Anyone who takes all that the Bible has to say litterally has to stay at least 100 feet away from me, as they are deamed KARAZEE in my books. Thank you for posting this 'intellegent design' business, as it just furthur illustrates my point.
In a sidenote somwhat pertaining to this topic of conversation, go to http://www.thewayofthemaster.com/wotm_flash.html
Oh Kirk Cameron, whatever are we going to do with thou?

Aurora said...

That was very frightening, and hilarious all at once.

I need a dose of Strongbad.