Sunday, February 06, 2005

Shhh! They're starting to catch on!

Okay, so I was entirely determined to go to see Pony Up! last night, until I couldn't find anyone to go with (man, I really need more downtown friends). And I really want to be one of those people who has the guts to go to a show by themselves, but at the same time, I really really don't want to be one of those losery lonery people who goes to shows all alone like.... a big loser. So I decided to be a loser in the privacy of my own home.

I played around with Flash MX 2004.
I started a blog.

I don't know. Maybe I only tend to notice the freaky or pathetic looking loners when I'm at a show, and there are really all these really cool loners who just kinda blend into the crowd. But would I be a crowd blender? That is the scary question.

Well hopefully I'll get another chance to see Pony Up! I bought their new mini album last week. It's catchy and fun. Kinda like Liz Phair, circa 1994. Apperently, they are Montreal's "hot up-and-comers" or some such rubbish, according to Spin Magazine. And It's not just one Montreal band getting attention. Suddenly, This is the City. The new epicentre of indie rock.

Well, according to the people who write the articles, anyway.

...the next big pop movement will not involve accordions accompanied by crooning chanteuses. This one involves a coven of English speakers who have banded together up and down Boulevard St. Laurent in the Mile End neighborhood, filling lofts, community centers, bars and restaurants with sumptuous noise. Montreal, which leaves serious business to Toronto and revels in its work-to-live ethic, has drawn Anglophones from all over Canada to form bands, record labels and a full-blown scene.

Cold Fusion: Montreal's Explosive Music Scene, David Carr
February 6, 2005
The New York Times

Whatever. I just likes the good music.


2 comments:

Nancy said...

Hey Rory!

Here's my 'pretty' comment for you: I think you're the epitome of cool! And when I say 'epitome', I don't mean 'epiphany'! And if you don't know what I'm talking about, think back to slow napkin-folding days at the BGC with your old buddy Nancy!
Anyway, I was so inspired by your 'ramblings', so to speak, that I decided to start my own blog! Yahoo! Exciting stuff!
Well, keep writing, I'll periodically check up on you... don't disappoint me, now!

Anonymous said...

AURORA!!
It's Beck what's up? Alright, so we've done a couple of shows together already...maybe only one but to quote Nancy, you ARE the epitome of cool and I as well have found myself in the perdicament of having no one to go to shows with! I am also finding myself in the uncomfortable situation of almost going to shows alone which lead me to miss Lesbians on Ecstacy and 1 Speed Bike. Never fear! We should team up and go together because I'm always up for anything and any show! Let me know! Unless Im not cool enough for you then completely discregard this posting...But honestly anytime!! I'm there!!! I have a blog too, www.livejournal.com/users/bex_diagnosed
Just leave me a message if you're interested in going to see a show because chances are I will be too!! -Becky